Thursday, January 5, 2012

Christmas!

We had a very eventful Christmas. We have three sets of Grandparents so we were very, very busy. On Christmas Eve, we spent the day at Plaza Lanes (bowling center) with my Father-In-Law and his wife Mel. IT was a blast. The kids really had a great time. We then took them home for a short Siesta before heading over to their house for presents and pizza. Boy oh boy were they spoiled at Grandma Mel's and Grandpa Jim's! Each received oodles of fun stuff (and some practical).

Christmas morning the boys woke up to stockings and gifts from us. We don't do Santa per se. We let Ollie know right from the start that we pretend Santa comes. This was not real popular with him. The reason we do this is because we feel like telling them things like Santa, the Easter Bunny and the tooth fairy are real and then later telling them they are not but God is when you can't see either is confusing. I know many people disagree with us and that is ok. We don't judge other's decisions to participate in Santa so please don't judge ours not to. We hustled and bustled after presents and attended the 9 am service at church. I feel like the season gets so busy that we often forget that it is about the presents or the parties; it's about Jesus. It was so nice to slow down and remember what it is all about.

Later Christmas Day, we headed to Nana Betsy and Papa Wayne's house (Bob's mom and her husband). The kids once again got spoiled with all kinds of new toys.  Kaleb, Ollie and Dawson enjoyed playing together. They ran up and down the house shrieking in excitement. Whew! What a day.

One of the great benefits of new toys is all the independent play that takes place after they receive them! WE spent Monday home and Tuesday evening headed back to Minnesota to go with Jade and Lilah to her chemo appointment on Wednesday morning. She did really well with it. I also spent Friday with Jade, Bella and Lilah. It was so nice to be with them and play games. Jade and I got a chance to go out for a walk and then hung out upstairs eating crab dip and watching Law and Order. It was amazingly quiet without my boys there!

Saturday was Christmas at my parents. Unfortunately, my uncle got in an accident that night and he and his family were not there. We also we so sad that Lilah, Jade and Kurt couldn't come. It's not worth the risk of her picking up our germs. My grandpa Curt and cousin Molly were both there. We enjoyed family and fellowship and of course--more presents! Man!

Christmas was very different this year for obvious reasons. It made me appreciate things much more. While I was out running errands and baking and preparing, my sister and her family were at the hospital. While I was bowling and hitting church and two family Christmases, Jade's church came to them and they were at home. I am so very thankful that Lilah is doing well and that she was home for Christmas. It was the best Christmas present ever. God is doing remarkable things. As a matter of fact, at her appointment yesterday they ran bloodwork and her counts were so good that she didn't have to have a transfusion! I'd say God is doing miraculous things in her. I am thankful that Christ was born many Christmas' ago so that we would have a Savior. Life is so very fragile and you never know when. Please don't deceive yourself into believing that you can get to Heaven by being good enough. There isn't "good enough." There is only Christ. He took your place. I hope you had a Merry Christmas and will enjoy many blessings this year has to offer.

2 comments:

  1. what a great video sounds like a wonderful christmas! We celebrated the weekend before christmas so christmas was lonely.I went to christmas eve service by myseld and christmas day service by myself

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your niece cont. to be in my prayers! I'm so glad to hear that she was able to be at home for Christmas.

    We need to get together sometime so you can show me how you do these great videos!!!

    ReplyDelete