Sunday, February 5, 2012

Just a few more Ocean activities

There really are a bunch of things you can learn about with oceans. So this week we did a few more activities. Ollie is enjoying it but he told me that he really wants to do dinosaurs so maybe we will move on to prehistoric marine animals. They are pretty cool.

We started with an activity in density. I took this activity from my Kitchen Table Play and Learn book. I took a bowl of water and placed a piece of carrot in it. I told ollie that we were going to add salt to the water. I asked him to make a hypothesis of what would happen. I can't remember exactly what he said but be assured it was something wacky. As we added salt to the water, the carrot began to rise and float. We talked about how the salt made the water more dense and so the carrot could float. I asked him if he thought it would be easier or harder to float in the ocean than freshwater. He of course said easier. Such a smarty!

We did a matching activity. I placed some sea animals in front of Ollie. The ones he knew he matched word to by looking at the first letter and listening to the sound as I repeated. I then taught him the sea creatures he didn't know. The second time I held them up and told him what they said and he matched them. We always end up youtubing something that he wants to know more about! He also wanted to see what would happen if he added pepper. So we tried it. It looked so disgusting!


Finally, we did a writing activity. I wrote the words Ocean and Ollie on a paper and had him trace them with a highlighter. He generally doesn't like handwriting but he liked using a highlighter. He wrote his name by himself for the first time this week! So exciting.


 That's all I have for this week. We had preschool on Wednesday and learned about sound. We may need to check out some science experiments about sound in water this week!

We had beautiful weather this week. Here a a couple of pictures of my sweeties!






No comments:

Post a Comment