Sunday, August 23, 2009

A Very Hungry Caterpillar Party




Ollie had his birthday party today. it was so much fun! We had 10 adults and 5 kids here for the caterpillar extravaganza. We started by making Caterpillar tiles. The kids used their finger prints to make the caterpillars. After the craft, we ate and just enjoyed visiting.

Our food consisted of ham and turkey sandwiches, pasta salad, lettuce salad, strawberries, watermelon, and cheese. I picked something really easy because I didn't want to fuss while people were here. Also, I thought the food matched the theme. The pasta I used was tri-color rotini which looks like caterpillars. In the book, the caterpillar eats watermelon, strawberries, cheese and leafs (lettuce salad). As always, I made way too much food so we will be reaping the benefits for many days!


My cake was made of cupcakes and one round cake. I used regular old cake mix because again I wanted no fuss. I even bought the frosting and dyed in green! The head of the caterpillar, however was much more difficult! I first frosted it with regular icing. Then I made fondant. If you have never made fondant, you really must try it. It is fantastically fun to make. However, I do not advise making it for your baby's first birthday when you have decided it will all be perfect. I also do NOT advise making it red on your try unless you buy a gallon and a half of red food coloring. I did not have enough red food dye. As a matter of fact, I ran out when it was still pink and it was storming to beat heck outside so a little cheating and viola! It is red. Yes. I am THAT mom; I painted (well my friend Lindsey) painted the head red!


We enjoyed the cake nonetheless. We did not eat the head! Ollie loved the cake. He sat and said, "mmm. numm. numm." It was so cute. He even reached into his bib to get more cake. LOL He was a green mess!


After cake, he opened gifts. The crazy straws I put in the goody bags were a big distraction. when that disappeared, it went much better. He thoroughly enjoyed ripping the paper off the gifts. He received many new books and toys. Thanks friends!

We had a great time. All of the hard work was so worth it. I will remember his first party forever!

Even Lyle had fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment