Friday, April 20, 2012

You must read to the end to get a surprise!

Six weeks and one day ago, I went to an ultrasound appointment where they planned to check my cervix. Little did I know that this appointment would result in a crazy roller coaster. Nothing is wrong with my cervix but instead they said that the nuchal folds (neck) of my baby looked thickened. But unfortunately, they really can't evaluate that for another 6 weeks. Now for those who don't know, nuchal thickening is a sign of a plethora of chromosomal disorders such as Downs Syndrome, Trisomy 17, 18, 21 as well as heart issues. Now I really wasn't worried about Downs Syndrome. I know oodles of wonderful kids with Downs Syndrome. I was concerned about the fatal disorders.   At first, I really just decided they were being overly cautious and I didn't stress but the closer the follow up came, the more worried and stressed I got. I feel like I've been a wreck. We didn't tell many people because we didn't want to sound the alarms until we knew more. I think that made it even harder.

Now, I can say that my quiet times (time with God) have been amazing and got more so each day that the ultrasound came closer. I honestly walked in to my ultrasound appointment and told the Lord that no matter what happened, I trusted him. It was a long ultrasound because they had to do an echo cardiogram on the baby. It was a long hour. The tech couldn't tell us the results we had to wait for the dr. Painstakingly, we waited and waited. Finally, we were told our baby was perfectly healthy! What an amazing answer to prayer!

So,  I was so relieved that I went shopping today and bought a hot pink tutu and a couple headbands. Practical stuff huh? I thought it would liven up my cleaning routine. Just kidding. I bought these things because we caved and found out that we are having a girl! We weren't going to but with all the uncertainty, I thought more about knowing. It was a nice distraction. I feel so blessed. Not only did God answer my prayer with a healthy baby but he gave me the desire of my heart by giving me a daughter. A daughter. Sounds surreal and unbelievable. I can't wait to meet her!


2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that my little niece is healthy!!! And don't lie, you wanted to find out because we did,lol!!! I bet my mom about died, 2 little granddaughters!!! They'll be practically sisters!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad to hear that you will be having a healthy baby! Tell you what, as much as I love love love Joshua and his uniquely boy outlook on the world, I am so delighted by Bethany. It really is different having a girl right from the get go. Can't really explain it well but you will see. Anyway, I'm excited for you!

    ReplyDelete