Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Randomness

So, I've really neglected the blog lately. My apologies. It's a busy life & I am dog tired. Because I've been neglectful, I have a plethora of activities to share. I'll share a few today and a few sometime soon, I promise!


Ollie and I did a Pterosaur measuring activity. We compared his wingspan to the wingspan of a Quetzalcoatlus &  Pteranodon. The Quetzalcoatlus has the largest wingspan of any Pterosaur
(or flying creature ever) measuring at 52 feet! The Pteranodon measures at 20 feet. To measure it we laid out a measuring tape and ollie ran yarn back and forth until we had the measurements. Then we measured his. We talked about wingspan and what that meant. Then we went outside and laid the yarn on the sidewalk. Holy Cats! Those guys were huge!

Dawson also gets activities although I am not as good about it as I was with Ollie when he was Dawson's age. It's tough with two though. Dawson does go to story time and do lots of art and a million unplanned activities so he isn't getting the shaft entirely. Here Dawson is sorting balls. I gave him several balls and containers. He experimented by putting them into the different containers. Eventually, it turned into throwing them at the containers but I say MOTOR SKILLS!


Quite often I modify one activity so both of the boys can do it. For Ollie I drew some big shapes on a piece of construction paper. He had to cut them out. His fine motor skills are really improving. It's exciting to watch! After he cut them, he decided to make a house from them. I had no intention of him doing anything other than cutting but I'm glad his little mind saw something in those shapes. He even took a scrape and made a flag!  For Dawson, I precut shapes. We talked about the shape and it's color as he glued them onto the paper. He loves to glue. Mostly he loves to shove his finger in them and pull out a wad of the stuff. 

I have a few more but I am ready to be off this computer! There is dinner to make and I believe I hear Dawson already!

No comments:

Post a Comment