Monday, May 28, 2012

Caterpillars and Butterflies

We had our last preschool co-op for a while just a few weeks ago. Yes I know I am way behind. Anyway, we did caterpillars and butterflies. We did some activities together and I had the boys do a couple later on our own. Some activities were very specific to the butterfly like it's life cycle while others just used the caterpillar to teach patterns.





 I had the kids do three homemade worksheets. For one, they were given a cut out of a leaf with an egg, a caterpillar, a chrysalis and a butterfly. They had to complete the life cycle by gluing the pieces in order. On the second sheet, I used our dotters (like bingo dotters) to create caterpillars. I started a pattern and the kids used the dotters to finish them. Ollie needs some work on patterns! The last sheet had half of a butterfly with a capital letter on them. They had to match the lower case letter by gluing the other half of the butterfly on.

Our next activity was a snack. I cut colored peppers, cheese sticks and carrots up. The kids used them to create a butterfly. It was a fun and delicious snack!

Our final project came from this month's family fun magazine. We traced the kids hands onto thick white paper and had them cut them out. Then, the kids used watercolors to paint them. The result was a really cool butterfly! I can't get it to leave my picture landscape. durn program!

I had the boys do two projects at home. For the first, I had the boys put pom poms, glitter and tissue paper into a ziploc baggie. Inside we also put 2 Corinthians 5:17: If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. We twisted a pipe cleaner around it to make antennas. They turned out so cute!


For our final project, I wanted ollie to work on patterns. I cut out different shaped circles and we made caterpillars with different patterns. Meanwhile, Dawson glued circles to the paper and we talked about their colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment