Monday, March 26, 2012

Can't get enough of DINOSAURS~

Ollie is completely infatuated with dinosaurs. I have been searching and thinking and scraping together dinosaur activities for my little guy. What do you teach a kid who knows everything about dinosaurs? Well luckily I found a few things and I found that you don''t have to teach about dinosaurs to use dinosaurs to learn.

So, we worked on sorting. I gave ollie several dinosaurs and asked him to sort them however he wanted. He sorted by color, species, and what they ate (carnivore, herbivore). He then organized them by size.


After seeing this on Play at Home Mom, I had to put it together for ollie. I put together a sensory activity for him. The bottom of the cake pan is covered in cloud dough. I put a dinosaur in each of the three eggs, added some foliage and a mama dinosaur. He was so excited when he saw it and loved every minute.


Lately Ollie has been asking for a spinosaurus. I hear it all the time. Well, he finally got one. We cut up an empty box of cheese crackers and a paper plate. Ollie glued it together but refused to paint it because it was colorful. He was referring to the box. haha. Anyway, I don't know why I don't make cardboard dinosaurs more often. He ran off to play with it and played independently for quite a while.



Parasaurolophus. That is what our mask is. This was fun to make but I think it was a bit big and awkward. He wore it for about twenty seconds. This activity and the one before came from a couple books I got from the library-  Activities for kids learning about dinosaurs & Crafts for kids who are crazy about dinosaurs.


We also did a little dino printing. I got out the paints and some dinosaurs and let the boys go to town. Ollie used them to stamp on the paper a bit but he also painted the dinosaurs themselves. After he was done, he decided the dinosaurs needed a bath and the boys and dinosaurs hopped in the tub to get cleaned up. 



Being a stay at home mom is such a wonderful blessing. I love being able to take the time to 
do activities with my kids. I was talking to a woman at the mall playland today who commented on how she wished she had more time to play with her kids (she is a working mom). It was just another reminder of how lucky I am!






1 comment:

  1. Today I was just thinking (as I scooped snow in my backyard trying to find Joshua's baseballs and tee) that next winter I am going to rope off an area of the backyard like a dig site. Then, periodically throughout the winter put some plastic dinosaurs out in the area. We can even talk about sedimentary layers by maybe spraying the snow with food coloring and water (a different color on each new layer). Then, in the spring when I am trying to shovel out his toys, he can be busy digging for dinos. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete