Friday, August 3, 2012

Love

So it seems I have been learning a lot about love lately. My Bible study is memorizing John 15:9-12 (“As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. 10 If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love. 11 I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. 12 My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.) And then this morning, I read 1 Corinthians 13-- also known as the love chapter. I spent a bit of time during my prayer time focusing on asking God to help me love as he does. Then, I spent a bit of time praying for the upcoming arrival of our little lady love. 


It was during that time that a small gesture came back to me. While praying about my upcoming labor, I started to think about when I gave birth to Dawson. I remember them handing him to me and being so joyful and in love. The next several minutes proved tough though. It wasn't long before the NICU team was in my room working on him. It was when they made the decision to take him that I was touched forever. While I sat with tears streaming down my face, a young resident gently placed his hand on my ankle. I could tell he was hurting for me by the look on his face. I don't know his name but I remember his kindness. As I was praying today, I thought, "yes Lord, I see." Loving like the Lord does means that we genuinely feel for them. We see them where they are and we see what they need. Loving someone doesn't always mean a grandiose gesture. It can be a short touch and a look of sympathy. I pray that this man  has or will become a doctor and I pray that he does not lose that love for people. I pray he is a believer and I will see him in heaven one day. 



No comments:

Post a Comment