Sunday, August 5, 2012

New Room

As the new baby approaches, we have many things to get accomplished. One of the those was to put the boys into a room together. Our rooms are really small and so we felt bunk beds would be best. Bob wanted to built them with the help of his dad. I started to get a little hyper when I was almost 34 weeks and they hadn't been started. My boys were both born at 36 weeks 6 days. I couldn't start the baby room until Dawson was moved out.

Anyway, Bob and his Dad did get them built and they are fabulous. They spent time building them while the boys and I were away to Minnesota visiting my family. Then Jim (Bob's dad) finished painting them. We moved them in on Thursday evening. While the men moved the beds, Grandma Mel and I went shopping! Thanks for the baby stuff!

 In order to try to ease the transition, we put Dawson on a mattress on the floor starting Sunday night. That gave us time to paint the room and set up the crib as well. Thanks to Nana the boys each got new bedding. Ollie picked Dinosaurs and Dawson chose construction. You would think with as excited as they were about the bedding sleeping would go well but nope. The first 3 nights were horrible.  Both boys cried and screamed for 90 minutes. Ollie is used to the door open with light in the hallway. Dawson likes the door closed with it pitch black. We realized real fast that the door must stay closed otherwise Mr Dawson runs out every 2 minutes laughing. We compromised by a closed door but the closet light on. Day 4 was a breeze. But then day 5 came and we moved in the bunk beds. The nightmare restarted. Ollie had a hard time because no one could lay with him but he has proved to be a champ and went to sleep without someone since. Also, he had gotten in the habit of getting in our bed ever night and that has stopped too. Dawson, on the other hand is currently crying. It breaks my heart but he has to learn to go to sleep on his own.


We are so thankful for the all the hard work Jim put into the beds. They are absolutely perfect and we loved them! He's quite the carpenter so they are much sturdier than anything we could have afforded to buy. We are also thankful for Nana who bought the bedding. It is quite the treat for the boys. 

Stay tuned! I'll be blogging about the nursery soon!

2 comments:

  1. I told you before but the years my brother and I shared a room with bunk-beds were some of my most favorite memories!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat room and beds! I'm right there with ya' on the sleeping. My baby girl needs to learn how to sleep. We had our 90 minutes too tonight. Glad to hear that it will pass.

    ReplyDelete