Thursday, September 15, 2011

What's new with school?

So a new school year is upon us and Ollie and I have started to do a bit of work. I'm trying to do a short activity each day in addition to our co-op which is 2x a month. I'll talk about co-op in another post!

I decided to start off the year with creation. I really want to incorporate the Bible into our school work as much as possible. Ollie loves his little Bible. He usually requests "four, five, six stories mommy," each night. I'm not sure whether that is because he loves God's word or because he wants to stay up later. Either way, I'll take it!

On the first day, God created the heavens and the earth. He said, "Let
there be light and there was light." So amazing to think about. I really don't believe that we were just a chance happening. There is a God and he did create us. He took nothing and made something. I decided that it
would be fun to explore color and light. I got Ollie a flashlight and some transparent colored sheets (binder dividers). We first shined the light on the wall and then put the pages in front to see the light change colors. We tried 2 sheets at the same time to see if the colors mixed. Not really. The stronger color shone through. Ollie loves flashlights. The batteries are already dead. That lesson was last Monday. Unfortunately,I took no pictures of this.

On the second day, God created water and above it a sky. We did two activities to illustrate this lesson. First, we played with water beads.
These are the coolest things. I found clear ones at the dollar tree. They are squishy little balls found
in the gardening section. Ollie played with them for a long time. I'm not sure what most kids do with these but he made it his mission to squash
them and break them apart (sigh). Second, we made a picture with clouds and water. I had him glue batting onto the clouds. Once the clouds were
on the paper, we counted them and wrote a number above each one.

On the third day, God made ground and plants! This was my favorite day hands down. We had a bit of hands on fun. We went to Grandpa Jim's house and worked in his garden. Ollie got to dig up sweet potatoes and Dawson sat and chomped on raw green beans. It was a lovely afternoon!

On the fourth day, God made the sun, moon and stars. Ollie is a big fan of
glitter and quite frankly, so am I. Bob could live and die and never see a glitter project again. We tend to use glitter while he is away. I just love his rendition of the sun and moon and stars, don't you?

On the fifth day, God made the birds in the air and fish in the sea. We started by talking about the characteristics of each. Then we had a delicious snack--blue jello with Swedish fish. Ollie wouldn't touch the jello. I guess he's been deprived of Jello for so long
that he doesn't eat it now. As for the Swedish fish, he had no trouble with those!

We did the 6th day at co-op. I will hopefully find time to blog about that soon. As for Dawson,
well he is officially walking. I have been meaning to put up video of it but I just haven't had time. One super cute thing he has learned is the kissy face. He walks up to me puckers up and makes smoochy noises. It is adorable!

I just want to say that I do not know what is going on with my formatting on blogger. I've fixed all the weird spaces here on my edit page but when I view the blog, it is seriously messed up. Ugh!

1 comment:

  1. You are so creative! And D is so precious! I LOVE that age!!!!

    ReplyDelete