Sunday, August 28, 2011

A Rocking Party!


My little man turned 3 Saturday and we celebrated with a Rockstar party. It was such a fun party. Being that we have a limited budget, most everything we made ourselves. It helps to have an incredibly talented husband. It also helps that he loves his wife and is willing to put a little work into it! Ollie loves music. He loves to play drums and guitar. He loves to write his own songs. He loves to dance. Considering his two loves are music and dinosaurs and we did dinos last year, I decided that rockstar was the way to go.

After scouring the net, I found some invitations that were close to what I wanted. I sent my dear hubs a picture and what I wanted on them. Viola! He created them for me! Love that man! They are darling. The cool thing is that I had that picture of Ollie. There was no posing.




As for the rest of the party, I really struggled with what to order for
plates. Silly huh? I agonized, quite literally. I spent time harassing my
dear friend Lindsey until finally I decided to ask Ollie. He went with the
monster rock ones. They are too cute. I got them at oriental trading along with blow up guitars and tattoos.

I decided to give out the blowup guitars instead of doing a goody bag. They cost about the same as the little junk I'd put in but were simpler and quite frankly, cooler! I personalized each one but cutting out a guitar
silhouette,writing each child's name on it with glue and adding glitter. I then attached it with ribbon to their guitar. I had planned to write on each with a sliver pen but alas, I could find it and then I decided I'd use the sliver paint we have...haha...I couldn't find that either. I never said I was organized. But I will say that I think the glitter added some depth and they looked really cool!


I planned too much for the party. On the agenda
were tattoos, shakers, slip n slides, dinner, presents, microphone ice cream cones, cake, karaoke. In reality, only two girls started making
the shakers, and no one did karaoke. I mean who wants to make lame-o shakers when there is a slip n slide? The kids all had fun though. I feel like I've learned an important lesson here--let's just have fun whether or not that fits the theme! ha!

Alright, back to the important stuff, Ollie fit the part perfectly with his adorable MOHAWK! Yes, I love it. Truly I do but I am not about appearances. He's three who cares if I get funny looks
because he has a Mohawk? I guess I should mention that it was a green Mohawk. How fun! We needed to cut his hair anyway so I asked Bob to hold off who raised his eye brows inquisitively and asked, "Why?" His response, "Yes! That would
be awesome." Did I mention that I LOVE that man? Of course, this hair cut was the one were Ollie decided to scream like a banshee but oh well, his Mohawk prevails. Of course now he doesn't want it cut. Oh well. The inventor of the Mohawk had to be cool. Just saying.

Other rockstar factors include the amazing sign. Once again, I harassed my friend Lindsey and we Googled until we were blue in the face. Then one night, I was nursing Dawson when it came to me...It would be a guitar and the cord would come out of it and write Happy Birthday Ollie and then plug into an amp. Of course Bob made it better and made his name look like parts of a drum.
Awesome!

The ice cream came in the form of a cone. I made ice cream cones and then dipped them in
chocolate sprinkles to look like microphones. I found that idea online somewhere. I wish I were that smart! I love cupcake cakes. I think they are so much easier to deal with than plates, sliver ware and cutting! Bah! Of course, I maybe should have thought of that before I ordered the dessert size plates. The cake turned out amazing. I love it! Bob added the strings and knobs. I then added some rub-on glitter guys to the tin foil. I think it's neat!

I ordered Ollie's shirt online from an etsy shop called IzzyBTees. Go give her some love and buy her shirts. It is so cute and it is really well made.







1 comment:

  1. I love the cake and sign! You are all so creative. BTW, Autumn, I found a picture of you rockin' out in our dorm room. It is from the ye olde days of film so I'll have to figure out how to use my scanner. Anyway, awesome party!

    ReplyDelete