Wednesday, January 26, 2011

H is for Hooray!

Last week, we did many 3 dimensional art creations. We made a heart, an H and a helicopter. We also ate Mexican haystacks!

The first day, we made our H. I used masking tape to put together two paper towel rolls and one toilet tissue roll. Ollie held it while I taped. Unless you either have a very skillful two year old or an older child, they really can't help mush at this point. I did get out some paint and have him paint it. I found the most awesome paint holder in the world! I took an empty egg carton and cut it into 2 and 3 cup segments. These are perfect to hold paint for his projects!
The next project was a helicopter. I had gotten a helicopter book from the library and spent some time looking at it and reading it with Ollie. To make the helicopter, I used two styrofoam cups (you could use paper), 2 chenille stems (pipe cleaners) and one sheet of paper. Ollie was my big helper. He cut the chenille stems and held the cups as we taped them together. He also colored his creation. Here is a picture of it!



Next, we made a heart. I found this in this month's family fun magazine. I only had white yarn and I didn't have corn starch. Instead, I took flour and water and mixed it into a paste then added red food coloring to add some color! Ollie and I cut pieces of yarn into 4 to 8 inch pieces. I laid out a piece of wax paper and put a heart cookie cutter down. He dipped the yarn and put it inside the cutter. It turned out so cute.

Finally, I made mexican haystacks. Yum! Brings me back to the good old days at my middle school. The cooks made it all the time! Anyway, here is the recipe.

1 comment:

  1. Where's the picture of the finished heart!!?? Tyler would love your art projects:)

    ReplyDelete