Wednesday, January 5, 2011

F is for Falling Behind

I love the Christmas season but let's face it, all normalcy comes to a screeching halt and that part stinks! We have really enjoyed our craft time and I now realize that I used to be better about doing creative snacks and games too so I'll try a little harder to vary the activities if any of you are using the blog for ideas!

Anyway, I think f has been my favorite so far. We created frosty, put farm animals on an F, feather painted and created family footprints (really cool).

The week started with a big construction paper F. Ollie loves stickers and he loves animals so to decorate his F we used farm animal stickers. The best part about stickers is that small children need very little help. Sometimes they struggle to remove stickers from the sheet. Here's a hint, remove the sticker stuff around the actual stickers and it will be much easier.

Next, we feather painted. This was a bit messy. I bought some large feathers at our local craft store. Since this project they have become triceratops horns, drum sticks, a microphone and a magic wand. Love that boy! He used the feathers instead of a paint brush. I thought I got a picture of him doing it but I can't find it. Rats!
I then took batting and cut it into shapes- circles, squares, rectangle, ovals and triangles. I also cut out a snowman. Ollie and I discussed the shapes while he glues them. Sometimes I'd ask him to glue on a certain shape and other times I asked what he was gluing on. We used two small black construction paper circles for eyes, an orange pipe cleaner for the nose and a black pipe cleaner for the mouth which ollie chose to put as a sad face. I am not sure why!

Finally, we did the coolest thing yet. On January 1st, i got out a big sheet of paper. We painted our feet gray and made footprints. We plan to frame this! It is really neat.


No comments:

Post a Comment