Friday, October 1, 2010

We take it all for granted


I thought I'd share a few of my thoughts over the last few days. They are raw and painful and joyful all at the same time. On Monday afternoon, I gave birth to my second child, a beautiful baby boy. We named him Dawson Curtis. He has a Great Uncle Dawson and a Great Grandpa Curtis. I was overjoyed after a drug free labor, where believe me I wanted to die multiple time, to hear it's a boy and have him laid on my chest. I filled with tears of joy. Bob whispered his name into his ear and said a beautiful prayer. Picture perfect. Right?

A few moments later, we decided to try to let him nurse. He seemed to struggle and it sounded as if he needed a bit of suctioning. They took him away and started doing that. Bob and I began calling family and friends to share the news. We soon realized, however, that Dawson was not getting better. More people were called into look and my whole world stopped spinning. I sat staring trying to figure out what was going on. Before I knew it, the words NICU were spoken and my perfect little prize for enduring the hellish labor was whisked away along with my husband and everyone else in the room.
I sat there in the bed stunned. What in the world had just happened? I stared out the window and tears welled up in my eyes. This wasn't supposed to be happening. Dawson was 36 weeks 6 days just like Ollie. He had two cousins both born in the 36th week and they were fine. What had happened. The tears began pouring out and Laurel (my labor and delivery nurse & friend) came back in. She asked if she could pray with me and I said yes. At the time, the yes was more out of I know I should and less of I really want to. I probably shouldn't admit that. It wasn't as if I was mad at God. I can't really explain. I wanted to run away,go back in time, hide, disappear, something, anything but this. This sucked. My boy was gone. My other son couldn't go see him and I had no idea what the prognosis was.

The days have now bled together. I have cried and cried. I couldn't hold my baby. It's Friday. I gave birth on Monday and I've held him 4 times for a combined total of a few puny hours. I didn't even get to see his face and head until Wednesday. I can't nurse. I'm tied to a freaking pump every three hours from now until he comes home. I long to be up in the middle of the night with a fussy baby not to pump and wash the parts to do it again in 3 hours. I'm ripped in pieces. I'm heartbroken because a new baby should be comforted and held and nursed not poked and prodded and left alone on a bed table deal alone. My two year old should be experiencing love and jealousy not jealousy for an imaginary brother he can't see or meet. He shouldn't scream when I leave the room for fear I'm gone again. Every free moment shouldn't be scheduled. My husband shouldn't have had to wait two days to hold his own child. My sister shouldn't have to cry because her child is crying since she's gone. This shouldn't be happening...

I'm in love. All I want is to hold my baby and love him and kiss him. We take it all for granted. Not everyone gets to hold a baby at all. I guess I'm a lucky one. That's hard to swallow.

5 comments:

  1. My heart aches for you - you never think that'll happen to you when you're 37 weeks along. He's just beautiful, Autumn. I can't wait to read your post where you rave about how wonderful it is to have him home!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't give up. Megan was 34 weeks and Kim was 35. Megan was put in the NICU so I understand. She was my first little baby and I hot to see her for a few seconds to snap a picture and they and to go with her because she wasn't crying and was broke out in a rash. Megan was just over 5 pounds. When they finally let me see her she was in the unit hooked up to all kinds of things. I couldn't even hold her at first. You can't go in anytime you want or hold them as long as you want. So, I understand with all my heart what you are going through. When you feel like you want to give up think about Megan and Kim. I love you and praying for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry this is happening to all of you...I was stunned to hear this news....and I know you all were looking so forward to this....just remember this is all in God's plan....I know you know that but it never hurts to be reminded...especially in trying times.......we want to scream and holler and say why us?...it all works out for his glory...the children we have are on "loan" more or less from him anyway....he is trusting you both to take the best care of him that you can....please take comfort in that.....prayers are coming your way....we'll love and think of you guys always....Kevin & Bonita Hale

    ReplyDelete
  4. congratulations on your super cute baby boy! i am praying for him and you guys. please keep us updated on how everyone is doing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is power in what comes out of our mouths.I am reminded that through out the bible whatever the king declared, "spoke out of his mouth," came to pass.A king's word carried tremendous power.Revelations1:5-6 says Jesus has washed us from our sins with his blood and made us kings.And as kings in Christ, our word carries power too. So I declare that my grandson is blessed, healthy, and highly favored.

    ReplyDelete