Monday, April 11, 2011

Homemade Baby Food



So about a week ago, I wrote a blog about freezer meals. It seems that this blog was well received so I thought what the hey, I'll let you see a few more of my domestic musings. I am into making my own baby food. I am slightly anal about what goes into my children's mouths. Now not to say my kid doesn't get his fair share of fruit snacks, I am just saying. So from the very beginning, I try to give my kids what I feel is best. I breastfeed and I make my own baby food. i am not saying babies feed formula are somehow unhealthy. I do what I feel is best for my kids, you do the same.

A couple of reasons I make my own baby food:
1. I know exactly what is in it. I know they can only put the fruit or veggie and water or so they say. But I didn't see what that veggie looked like before it went into that plastic container & once it's in that plastic container, it lives forever. There is something wrong with that. It surely cannot be as nutritious in that form.

2. I make it with my milk in it. This makes the transition easy. It has a familiar flavor to it and a little extra nutrients!

3. It's the stuff we eat. When Dawson transitions to our table food, it is the exact same fruits and vegetables we eat. I buy fresh or frozen and that is exactly what he is getting. Ollie moved easily
to our food. Score!

Now on to making your own fabulous baby food. You need a few things: a blender, ice cube trays
and some baggies. I choose to use the blender because I think it does a better job than my food processor. Also, I can clean it easier. You can buy baby food making kits but I think they are a
waste of money, especially if you don't know if you will want to continue to do it.

If is has a peel, I peel it. I cook the fruit or veggie first. Sometimes, it comes in the form of leftovers off our table. I let them cool and then put the veggies and about 3 oz of breast milk in the blender. You can most certainly use water. I continue to add liquid until it blends easily and is nice and smooth. I then pour it into ice cube trays and freeze it. Once solid, I label a baggy with the contents and date, pop out the cubes, place them in the bag and put the bag in the freezer.

To heat them, I do a double boiler method. I place a small glass bowl inside a small pan with a bit of boiling water in it. If you do use breast milk, you cannot microwave it or it breaks down the
proteins. Also, do not use breast milk that has been frozen previously just like you can thaw and refreeze meat.
I use a chart on www.wholesomebabyfood.com to determine what to give when. It also has some recipes to try.





Doesn't he look like a happy, healthy baby?

1 comment:

  1. I did Joshua's baby food the same way. I liked that I could blend together some things I knew he enjoyed and could sneak in something new to introduce. Also, it is pretty cost effective since I was just making food from things we already had on hand and didn't have to buy the same thing pre-prepared. Joshua gets his fair share (and then some) of fruit snacks too.

    P.S. I have been filling my freezer! Today I made a double batch of chili. Some for an event on Monday and some for our freezer. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete