Monday, October 17, 2011

Oh darn! They used up my yarn.

Yarn. When you think of it, I am sure you think, "oh. My kids love yarn. It is their favorite toy."What? You don't? Yeah. Me either. Before last week. I left a skein of yarn lying on the desk in the living room. It was there from making our leaf collection. Ollie pulled on the strand hanging from the skein and he just kept pulling and pulling. I had to resist my desire to say, "Stop Ollie! You are wasting it." Wasting what? A $2 skein of yarn that is here for craft projects. Come on Autumn! Live a little. So I let him pull.

He pulled and he pulled. He never got tired of it. He pulled and he walked. He walked through the kitchen. Through the hall bath. Through the hall,
and back into the living room. And Dawson followed him and pulled too. Before I knew it, they had walked around the house three times. Dawson tugged and laughed. Ollie shouted, "Look mom!"

And then Ollie got out his scissors. (Sigh) Just let it go Autumn. It'll be ok. Just because you didn't plan to be messy, doesn't mean you can't be. So, Ollie cut. Fine motor skill development, right? Ollie cut and Dawson threw
it. And Ollie cut and cut. And soon it was in piles all over the house. So, what does a good mama do at this point? Well, she grabs some pans and utensils. She throws in the yarn and her kids cook noodles.
They laughed and they played. They stirred and whisked and they threw noodles. They were enthralled with yarn for an HOUR.

We have kept this marvelous stuff called yarn. It is in the playroom. I have been attacked by jellyfish, fed noodles and hissed at by snakes. Yarn. Who'da thunk?

2 comments:

  1. Oh Autumn, I'm constantly challenged and inspired to be more like you! You are such a fabulous mother and your boys are sooo lucky to have you as a momma! I love all your ideas! I need some yarn now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with meg! So challenged and inspired! I often think, really? would this mess/chaos stress Autumn out??? NO! Your such a fun mommy too!

    ReplyDelete