Thursday, October 13, 2011

One year ago today!

Flying head first down the slide. Climbing everything in sight. Screaming and holding on for dear life anytime someone tries to take something out of his sweet little hands. Running down the hall after his brother. Roaring and tackling his dad. Does this sound like a whimpy white boy? That's what the nurses said about him in the NICU! Apparently, white boys are said to have, "whimpy white boy syndrome" because they have the highest likelihood of issues when born early.

One year ago today, I brought my sweet Dawson home from the hospital
after 16 long days in the NICU. We were definitely part of the "lucky" group in there. Many who had been there for months with no end in sight and many others who left too quickly without a baby to take home.

I feel like it's a another birthday for Dawson. This day was far more joyful and less scary than his actual birthday. You wrap so much up in that day. You prepare for it. You fantasize about howwonderful it will be and sometimes it doesn't go as you had planned. I'm thankful for a God who
already knew how it would turn out. He lined every thing up just so. He made sure we had the support we needed.

Dawson is an amazing little boy. When we took him home a year ago, he was so thin and frail. I was petrified and went to a breastfeeding support group once a week just to weigh him. haha. It didn't take long for Dawson to grow leaps and bounds into my sweet little chubber that he is today. I swear each day he gets cuter. I am starting to see his personality a bit more clearly each day. He is bold and headstrong. He is a risk taker and is
tough. I am thankful for a wonderful year with him. I think it really is sweeter after experiencing those days without him here.



You can see his coming home blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment